Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Goose preserve us



Sleep would be nice, but I've really too much energy. I'm not sure I can convey just how hyper I am, but I mean, I couldn't fall asleep until after three and I woke up of my own accord at eight o'clock and was instantly wide awake. That is really, really unusual.

Seeing as I'm leaving in about twenty-four hours, I thought I'd start packing.

This is how I pack:

I look at each of my shelves, hangers, coat hooks, and drawers. Take off/out whatever I think I might want to pack. Throw it on the floor. Think about it. Put some of it back. Go to sleep. Wake up. Put some more stuff back.

Look up all the books on the Wheaton Public Library and Wheaton College Library websites to make sure I'm not bringing any books that I could get over there. Agonize over random useless-but-essential things like the French translation of Franny and Zooey and a vintage semi-formal dress (one of those items of clothing I am positive I'll need if I don't bring it).

Get out suitcases. Start reluctantly putting stuff in them and wonder why the zippered pockets are already full of random crap. Put more stuff back on shelves/in drawers. Suddenly remember San Francisco almanac. Estimate how many journals I will go through between now and Christmas break. Wonder if I left any pens at school.

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Today I need to pack for the next four months of my life, bake a carrot cake (cupcakes?), make potatoes O'Brian for the breakfast-for-dinner dinner my sister wants for her birthday, return some books to the library (*tear*), get my hair trimmed, head over to Odessa's neighborhood for a superspeedy thrift store run and to get the book that I'm planning on giving away here sometime semi-soon, out to the hippie co-op by the beach to pick up some vegetarian fare before my exile to the Midwestern suburbs, get my sister's birthday present, do one last load of laundry, go to an ATM, finish Magic's Child, wrap my sister's and mother's presents, return some borrowed books to a friend, and exercise.

Probably forgotten something, but there's most of it.

Sorry if I sound a bit crazed, haha.

If "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" comes up on shuffle today, I might burst into tears.

9 comments:

  1. If you sound a bit crazed, we certainly understand why. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, you're coming to my hood! we should arrange for a meet-up sometime, when you get back. :)

    i totally understand the craziness. i'm the same way when i'm leaving to go somewhere. but its the kind of nervous energy that i crave. i love getting ready for a trip, it makes me very focused. have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a safe trip!

    And there is nothing wrong with being crazed. Though I could just be saying that because I'm used to it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually wait until the day/night before I leave to pack... that can get pretty crazy too, and I almost ALWAYS forget something.
    Example? one time I forgot my case of CDs, so I had an empty and useless CD player for a week. :P

    Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I fully relate to that, Marie. :D

    I'd love a meetup, odessa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 4 months!!! wow... that must be tough. good luck and i hope everything goes well!!! don't burst into tears!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Gilda! :)

    So reassuring, Ani. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...your packing method is very similar to mine.

    ReplyDelete