Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Peppermint cupcakes

Every New Year's that my family is home, we smash up all our leftover candy canes and whip up a batch of homemade peppermint ice cream with them. It's a delicious treat, and I wanted to give the idea a whirl in cupcake form. The result? Super easy and quite tasty.

I just made vanilla cupcakes according to the joyofbaking.com recipe [edit: I now prefer the Amy Sedaris vanilla cupcake recipe], plus food coloring, 1/2 cup smashed peppermint candies (put 'em inside two plastic bags and take up your pounding instrument of choice), and 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract. You could do the same with that amount of any other kind of flavoring - lemon extract, almond extract, etc.

I wasn't feeling the frosting thing that day, so I just sprinkled powdered sugar over the tops through a sieve. The peppermint pieces throughout the cupcake made for the occasional nice gooey, melted candy patch when I ate one fresh out of the oven. Yum.

You know what? I am leaving on THURSDAY and won't be back again until December! Eek.

9 comments:

  1. Those look amazing! I'm always looking for new cupcake recipes to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy.

    That's a scary thought, leaving. I think my older brother leaves not this Thursday but next Thursday. Of course, he's only going to college like two hours away.

    anilee

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, where are you going? is it for school? hope you can still keep us updated from where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm heading to New Hampshire and Massachusetts to visit some very dear friends for a week and a half, then back to school. Don't worry; shall definitely still be blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love peppermint ice cream--I'm a real sucker for peppermint. But I don't like mint gum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good, Cuileann - I want some! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look so good. I'm going to steal this idea.

    ReplyDelete