Friday, August 8, 2008

A poem about rich people

The Woods Hole ferry is the one going between mainland Massachusetts and Martha's Vineyard, a very wealthy island summer colony.

I'm visiting a friend in the area very soon, and if we visit Martha's Vineyard I fully intend to recite this poem on the ferry.

Woods Hole Ferry
Crossing briefly this mirrory still Galilean blue water to the heaven
of the affluent, the users-up, unconsciously remote
from knowing themselves
our owners and starvers, occupying
as they always have, to no purpose,
the mansions and the beauty of the earth
for this short while
before
we all meet and enter at the same door.

- Franz Wright

Becky of Becky's Book Reviews is hosting this week's roundup here.

I posted two more poems by Franz Wright for the last two Poetry Fridays - here and here.

6 comments:

  1. Oh! I love the description of the water - 'mirrory still Galilean blue water'. You post such a nice assortment of poems that I'd never find otherwise. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poem! And thanks for your comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind - I'm going to Houston Baptist University....I get to be in the first graduating class of the Honors College and on the two-year-old cross-country team. I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i thought about this poem when i took the ferry ride from the city to sausalito. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks very much for your recent support of my work, much appreciated.
    And b y the way, I am an old resident of S.F. (went to grade school there in the early 60s (before moving over to Walnut Creek...) I still miss it and visit when I can and consider it clearly the most beautiful city in the country.
    FW

    ReplyDelete