Monday, August 11, 2008

Holey, holey, holey



I have decided there must be a clause somewhere in Murphy's Law that goes like this:

When you visit a house where you are supposed to take your shoes off when you get inside, you WILL be wearing the pair of socks with a hole in them. Probably right over your big toe, and regardless of whether you could have sworn a day ago that you owned no holey socks.

You may squirm and try to stretch the sock so the hole is on the sole of your foot or under your toes, but it will refuse to be suppressed. It will remain in plain sight, proclaiming cruelly the sheer awkwardness of toes that poke through torn knit cotton.

Bonus certainty if you're at the house of someone you want to impress or don't know well.

And no, this has never happened to me. What a silly question!

P.S. New header  made it last night in a fit of hyper. Like?

16 comments:

  1. I always take my shoes off at home, and it bothers me when parts of my feet stick to the floor, so I very rarely wear holey socks. I just throw them away. I'm so wasteful. Let's find a way to recycle holey socks.

    I DO like your header. Did you take that picture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My home is a shoeless one too, Q. (That means barefoot for me, though.) High five for super clean carpets! As for the socks, you could donate them to some of the multitude of flickr users who apparently enjoy photographing their own feet in holey socks.

    And yes, I did! Wanted to use this one - http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r35/uncannyani/1500carousel.jpg - but the other cropped better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the new header! its moody and whimsical at the same time.

    so what's up with flickr peeps taking photos of themselves with holey socks? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, none of my socks ever seem to get to that state for the reason that at least half of them are eaten by the washing machine. :)

    I like the header. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the ironies of life. That *does* always seem to happen.

    Love the header :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. :)

    Odessa, I do not know, but a flickr search for "holey socks" or "sock(s) with hole" yields way more results than I would have thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh! but that HAS happened to me....at work....where one must take off ones shoes to go on the karated mats....and where your mother cant help but point it out in front of all who happened to be present.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the one you used--the colors are warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't wear socks. I don't even wear shoes if I can help it.
    But my grandmother has a hotwire fence around her horse pasture and uses old holey socks to tie to the wire so the horse can see where the wire is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you trying to say those aren't your feet? I love that photo. The new header is great, too. Full of motion and emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I prefer barefoot, too, Faith, but it's a bit colder round here in the summer than where you live. :P

    Heh heh. Yeah, I hear those feet actually belong to a Ugandan child, enc. And thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh. I love the blurred carousel. And I'm with summermoon - except I don't think the washer eats my socks. I think a tiny gnome lives in the back of my dryer and snitches the ones he likes, unravels them, and makes potholders for a living. Just my theory.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! That is an awesome theory, Edge.

    ReplyDelete