Friday, August 1, 2008

"Such beautiful hands"

I love this poem. I just love it.

The German phrase means "such beautiful hands." If you don't know what Chernobyl is, take a moment to read about it here first. The title is a relativity term having to do with black holes, so you should read about it as well (here).

Event Horizon
Children of Chernobyl
on a field trip to the woods
of Germany, where my wife meets them

on a path and one approaches,
takes her hand in his
six-fingered hand, and whispers

solche schöne Hände
How many people can say that
for a minute they knew why they’d lived?

- Franz Wright


I posted another Franz Wright poem last Friday.
The round-up's at The Well-Read Child today.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the poems you do - I'd never see them otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for giving us the backstory. i've never heard of Chernobyl before and reading about it made this poem even more meaningful for me. the last line is very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for posting this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You learn something new everyday... as sad as it may be.

    P.s I must admit that I'm an Irish imposter too!

    ReplyDelete