Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Fruit Loop cupcakes: raspberry-lime-orange with vanilla buttercream and toasted coconut

I've always loved the way multicolored cupcakes look, but I rarely feel like making plain vanilla cupcakes. So I took some inspiration from rainbow sherbet and decided to make multicolored cupcakes in which each color was a different flavor - raspberry, lime, and orange. Whoo!

The recipe: I've been using the joyofbaking.com vanilla cupcake recipe, which is good, but this time I tried Amy Sedaris's recipe (via Chockylit's Cupcake Bakeshop), which is delicious. Lovely texture.

How I altered the recipe: I went ahead and made a 2/3 batch (which yielded 12 cupcakes). Then I split that up into three separate bowls, and colored and flavored each one individually. I used about 3/4 t raspberry extract for the raspberry part and 1 1/2 T lime or orange zest plus maybe 2 1/2 T lime or orange juice (just squeezed from the fruit) for the lime and orange parts, respectively.

After that, you just spoon a layer of each flavor into each cupcake paper in the muffin tin, and you get cool swirly psychedelic cupcakes.

Here are their lovely purple raspberry-flavored tops, with a little green showing...


And here you can see ze beautiful layers.



I happened to be wearing bright green shorts and purple flip flops that day, so had to take a "My cupcakes and I, we match!" photo.



And theen, I made some vanilla buttercream for the frosting and toasted some coconut flakes in the oven to put on top. Voila!



The verdict: I really, really like this vanilla cupcake recipe. I might try a couple more of the vanilla recipes standard on the cupcake blogosphere, but I can definitely see myself sticking with this one. Nice and soft inside with just a hint of crustiness on the top.

As for the execution of the sherbet notion, the cupcakes tasted quite nice. My roommate said they tasted like Fruit Loops, and I agree. The orange and lime parts weren't as flavorful as the raspberry, though, which goes to show how well juice and zest work versus extract.

What I'd do differently next time: Next time, I'd use orange extract for the orange part. I don't know if lime extract can be found at ordinary grocery stores, so I'd use it if I had it, but if not, I guess I'd put in more lime zest. I'd tone down the amount of extract in each batch, because the raspberry, while quite yummy, was a little too strong for me.

12 comments:

  1. Hey there! Thanks for checking out my blog :)
    I just noticed on Justine's blog that the Oak Park event is actually in Oak Park, MI. Which confuses me a little because that's what she originally said, then changed it to IL, and now it's MI again. This is kind of sad, I was looking forward to meeting her again :(

    But hello fellow Illini!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really awesome-looking cupcakes. They're so colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! You and the cupcakes are very colorful. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. A. You're absolutely darling. You look exactly like I imagined.
    B. Yum! I'm for sure going to try that cupcake recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look really good. I'm going to have to look up all your cupcake recipes and try making some :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look so yummy!

    And the lime matches your ipod too ;)

    I love the concept of different colors AND flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. those cupcakes looks delish! and you look adorable in the photo, love the pointed toes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my. You are completely awesome... "My cupcakes and me match!" that's totally creative :D

    Those sound really good. Every time I read these cupcake posts I get the really strong urge to make cupcakes. I might need to start a new tradition...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those colors make me smile! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. :) Thanks for all your comments! I'd love to hear about it if any of you try this recipe or any of the others I've posted about.

    And Odessa, I did ballet for too long to be able to not point my toes...:P

    ReplyDelete