Thursday, September 25, 2008

Rain like grace

The summer thunderstorms they get here in the Midwest are one of my favorite things about the region, and although we've had some rain since I got back here at the end of August, the meteorology gods have kept me waiting for a real storm.

Last night it FINALLY came. After three sunless, rainless months at home and the steady, boring rainfall we had two weeks ago (Please rain harder, I kept muttering) - it was just glorious to be caught in a real downpour again, to think again of the heavens as a gracious, outrageously immoderate expression of love.

So that is what happiness consists of for me right now: water falling so heavy from the sky that you can barely see; bare muddy feet; the sound of running in a still-damp wrap skirt; a ribbon in dirty rain-rinsed hair.

"Yet he has not left himself without testimony: He has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven and crops in their seasons; he provides you with plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy."
- Acts 14:17

8 comments:

  1. I think I've had my fill of storms for right now, with Ike and all...but then again, a big thunderstorm might come and win me over...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss those t-storms from the midwest. They were scary and soothing at the same time. I haven't heard that kind of cacophony in years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. And now I want NOTHING MORE than to dance in the rain...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edge - Understandable!

    enc - I miss 'em when I'm home in CA too. Scary and soothing is such a good way to describe them.

    Erin - I hope you get your rain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds so wonderful, you can't even imagine. Rain and Thunder especially are two of my absolute favorite sounds in the entire world. Yes, very scary and comforting at the same time.

    Luckily I got to dance in the rain just last week. It was heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Storms are awesome. Thunder is one of my favorite things ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, i'm with you! the only type of rain that i love are those heavy, thundering ones. now i miss those.

    ReplyDelete