Saturday, October 18, 2008

An Event of Great Significance (maybe)

I don't know if you have one particular nightmare that you constantly redream, but I do.

My recurring nightmare is the one where you find that just when you are in dire need of it, you have no voice.

Someone will be about to hurt me, and I will open my mouth to scream as loud as I can - maybe "HELP" or "STOP," maybe just a noise - but I can't make any sound come out.

The dream ends there; I don't have to watch myself be beaten up or murdered or whatever. Nothing so gruesome - just that sick, sick feeling of complete helplessness.

Last night, I had yet another variation of that dream. It was kind of funny, actually, a bunch of guys from my school trying to kill me by throwing coins at me like that poor English football referee because I wouldn't let them feed my longboard to their bonfire, and as I was running away one of them grabbed me.

(That's the Scream Moment.)

But this time, I could scream. My voice was kind of hoarse at first, but it warmed up right away and I was loud. I yelled, Help, someone help me, and then at him, Don't TOUCH me, get your hands OFF OF ME, and then some more HELP.

And someone did come to help me, and then I was fine, except spitting mad and still yelling profanities at this character over my shoulder.

I'm sure it would mean something to a psychologist, to triumph over a recurring nightmare of several years. I mean, even my inner literary analysis nerd is running gleefully wild with this one.

I try to keep her in check, though, so I shan't impose too much significance on this dream.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on conquering your dream! :P

    That's pretty... intense. Yeah. intense. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother always interpreted weird dreams when we had them. Her interpretations were always so embrassing I stopped telling her my dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on defeating your dream! In a novel, this might be the turning point in the plot. Although of what plot, I'm not sure. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have dreams where i get into fights but i can't hit them back hard enough, it's like trying to punch through water. really distressing. i've actually punched my boyfriend in my sleep while having one of these dreams before, that's how worked up i get from them.

    oh, and i woke up when i punched him. he was quite shocked to say the least... and luckily i hit him in the chest and not in the face. i would have felt pretty bad...

    ReplyDelete
  5. *whistles* No, never had that dream. Just the ones where something's (usually a highly venemous snake) coming after me and my legs are stuck in quicksand. Good job! Way to yell! :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on finally beating your dream! (It's frightfully easy to find a meaning in that.)

    I don't have recurring nightmares at all. I can't even remember the last time I had any nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only recurring dream I have is that someone will be wearing the same outfit as me one day and it will look better on her… lol you may read as much into that as you want, but it happens in real life all the time! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi. Thanks for the comment. Dreams are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "spitting mad and yelling profanity" is a good description... i can picture you doing that all too well. i don't think i've seen the spitting mad part, but screaming profanities definitely happened last year... (:

    i miss you.

    ReplyDelete