Tuesday, November 4, 2008

So much for mellowing with age

There are one or two ethical/political issues that I cannot discuss calmly - I mean, really cannot. The first of those is factory farming.

I made the mistake of bringing up a factory farming-related proposition (2 in California, if you're interested) with my roomie yesterday, who is a fair bit more conservative and a whole lot more carnivorous than me. Oh dear.

Thankfully, she is quite hard to get riled up and knew to cut the discussion short with a quick, "Well, you have your opinions and I have mine" before I started yelling. I had to bury my nose in my voter information packet and start pretend-muttering to myself about Prop. 3 in order to keep my mouth in check.

Felt like feeding her apple cider to my potted plant as revenge, but then she finished it herself and I didn't have to be wicked.

I'd forgotten I could be passionate about important things. It's kind of gladdening that college hasn't made me as cynical and apathetic as I thought it had.

Oh yeah, and the highlight of my day? My supervisor at work was wearing a Gandalf for President button.

9 comments:

  1. Passion is a good thing sometimes - reminds you you're still alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Factory farming? I'm not familiar with the term--could you explain it more if it won't get you too worked up about it?

    And I think Gandalf is a better choice than either of the two we've got now. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Q - Agree.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_farming

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even want to read that, cuileann. I'm assuming I won't like it.

    I'd vote for Gandalf in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I see. So did you want the measure to pass or not?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anilee - Defo not. You already know about it, though.

    Q - I voted for it, and it did pass. (I'm still friends with people who voted/would have voted against it, though, in case you were wondering. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I don't know whether I would have voted for or against it. I don't know what it's about. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter now!

    ReplyDelete