Thursday, January 29, 2009

Wild [city] child happinesses

Things that are making me happy:

Driving. Normally I never drive, because I love to bike and walk and San Francisco has an excellent public trans system, but lately I've been driving more often to get to a town down the peninsula. And I must say: tearing along a freeway overlooking the ocean, singing along with a favorite CD at the top of my lungs with all the windows down — that's good stuff.

Bare sandy feet on smooth pavement

Filling my bag with seabird feathers at the beach and planning to make some sort of wild child decoration for my hair out of them

Looking forward to hearing about Frederick the garden elf's journeys, and to hosting him during his sojourn in my city

The book of Anna Akhmatova's poetry that providence sent me yesterday at the library

Two big slouchy sweaters from the men's section of my favorite thrift store

13 comments:

  1. Ooh...I read a few things of Anna Akmatova at camp 2007 and loved them.

    And I can imagine driving like that is pretty happy-making. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fave was the sandy feet on smooth pavement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh sometimes there is nothing like wearing a mans sweater...^. ^ cuddles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Question: are you still on winter break? Because... jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anilee - And that's how I get to and from therapy! It's pretty perfect.

    Maya - :) That was my today. Crossing a street barefooted in the sun coming back from the beach, looking down it and just wind coming up it instead of cars - happiness.

    pinkapplecore - Yes! I am so glad to hear you recognize this unique pleasure as well.

    Cassandra - Nope. Or, well, kind of. I'm taking the semester off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, driving. No doubt my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Bare sandy feet on smooth pavement"

    Sounds heavenly right now! All we have is snow… not so good for bare feet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bare sandy feet on pavement is definitely happy-kind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww, I also loved the bare sandy feet on the pavement.. how divine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love slouchy sweaters!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love driving along the water and bare sandy feet on smooth pavement! glad you're enjoying your time off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Edge - I defo feel like I understand my driving-loving friends (you included) better now.

    Ballerina - Ooh, I haven't even lived through two whole real winters, but I know how that is. I hope February's not as horrid for you as I found it.

    Summermoon - I am glad you have the fortune to be a coast-dweller too and know just what I am talking about. :)

    Miss Corrine - For me, it's like the essence of what is best about my neighborhood.

    Mermaid - I think they are about as essential as comfy sweatpants, don't you?

    Odessa - Sanks amiga. I am indeed; it really is good to be here...even when I am feeling utterly down I can still walk outside and feel like singing hallelujahs that at least I am IN SAN FRANCISCO!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I could drive!! I've had my drivers license for years now but basically I'm just so crap at it that I don't have any confidence in myself ha ha

    And yes I had an awesome holiday in SF in winter 07, I've got two cousins who live in Lafayette - I visited them a couple of times and it's a beautiful place! Definitely want to go back.. just don't know when I can!

    ReplyDelete