Friday, May 15, 2009

Heads up to the wanderlusty and travel-bug-bitten

I first heard of the Postcrossing project from Sonia. It's so simple, but I think it's one of the best things I've ever found on the internet.

Here's how it works: Once you make an account on postcrossing.com, you are randomly assigned another user from somewhere else in the world to send a postcard to. For each postcard you send to another user, someone else sends you a postcard from another country.

I've already sent three postcards and received two.

One from Finland:


And one from China:


Mailing a postcard internationally from the U.S. costs ninety-eight cents, FYI.

9 comments:

  1. The one from Finland is so pretty. And I love the photography in the one from China. Where are the users you've been sending postcards to from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Priya - So far, I've sent postcards to China, Finland, and Belarus. [Just coincidence that I've received postcards from two of those countries...I think.]

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that is such a cool idea, i have one pen pale but receiving letters just make your day better!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. pinkapplecore - So true. Snailback correspondence is one of the greatest pleasures life affords, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so going to do this. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is ridiculously awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an amazingly cool concept. Snail mail is so fun to get and send, but it's like no one has time anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emma - I know, and what makes that even LAMER is that it's not true. Writing a letter is so much more fulfilling than spending the same twenty minutes on Facebook would be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh super, you've received some already! I've sent 6 now and received 3 so far. It is so exciting writing, posting and getting them back too! Definitely one of the under-rated pleasures humanity has to offer one another!

    ReplyDelete