Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Still a rockstar...na na na na na na

Look at me, rolling in the monies, living the high life of a barista!

Jk. I got paid in cash for the last three days because the owner doesn't want me anymore. He said I don't seem suited to the job. Which kinda bothers me—he hadn't given me a word of feedback or correction until then, and since so far I'd only been there when it was fully staffed (to learn from the experienced workers), I was always kind of superfluous and in the way. I do think I'm more capable than he got to see. Also, apparently someone who used to work there and went away is asking for her job back. And she gets it back.

Anyways, bye, coffeehouse job.

But I'm okay about it, really. Zen and the art of getting fired?

• I'm no worse off than I was before.
• Actually, I've got three days' pay, four free coffees, and good experience with a cash register, food prep, and coffee-makings under my belt. And I know now that I like customer service.
• I didn't need that job to keep myself fed and under a roof.
• I'm still not really unemployed.
• I won't have to worry about getting time off for family vacations and weddings this summer.
• Does this constitute legitimate rejection? Meh. Like I said, I don't think I was given a completely fair chance, and the people at the medical practice where I'm temping now really like how I work and have mentioned hiring me permanently when they expand later this year.
• More sleep for me.
• It's all part of the experience of economic crisis, right? I'm in awesome company.

Cheers.

20 comments:

  1. Well, I'd say that's really Zen. But like you said, knowing you like cust. service is a huge deal, because well, a lot of folks don't, and a lot of jobs require it. (Esp. for us liberal arts majors types...)

    Sounds like it was their loss.

    Hugs,
    SL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw.

    But I likes yer attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are in awesome company-mine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah Louise - Aw, thanks. Hugs back. :)

    Erin - Me too. I could NOT have handled this a few months ago...I'm so pleased with how I've changed the way I think.

    Lenore - For the win!

    George - YES! High FIVE! Hugshugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems a bit bizarre and I know that NZ an employer wouldn't have been able to do that. Regardless, learning how to make flash coffees is a good skill and it's good you can look on the bright side :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for thinking positive! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a really good attitude to have. I always respond to these things really personally and it's just a waste of energy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I JUST NOTICED YOUR TITLE. looooooooove

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww.

    Still, though. Nice attitude. And an even nicer Franklin. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. AWESOME! I love it. Zen and the art of getting fired. teehee

    It sucks when you don't get feedback, although it's not uncommon.

    Is that what they call a Benjamin?

    =D LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  11. sorry you got fired, but a new door to open maybe??

    I'm still looking, a new peebles store is opening but it won't be open till August, they are already receiving applications..check into that tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry... but I like your picture. My sister Laura started working at the restaurant with me a little while ago, and when she got her tips for the first time she said something about "rolling in the benjamins" and then said "why do people call them benjamins?" Since she didn't have any hundreds she decided that she was rolling in the jacksons instead. I liked that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, I'm sorry lovely - more so because it doesn't sound very fair, what a fool! (Your boss.) But alas, you have a fantastic attitude, and that's something that $$ just can't buy!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry you lost your job, but you're attitude is great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like you guys so much. Thanks for being my bloggy friends even though I don't pay you!

    Bambola - I actually think I am going to go back tomorrow and ask him for feedback. We parted amiably enough, and I really want to know what to do better.

    pinkapplecore - Definitely a new door. I will tell you what it is when I know for sure.

    Corrine - That's true, isn't it? You're such a pointer-outer of good things.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd say getting the experience that can lead you onto bigger and better things some time in the future is worth it. Think of it as 'work experience' so something you can't really get fired from ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Julia - haha, yep, I think that's one of two or maybe three I've touched in my life.

    ReplyDelete