Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Jökulsárlón

Yes, let us return to GLACIERS. Driving from Vík to Höfn, we stop at a glacial lake just off of Route 1 (the ring road we're traveling on). It's called Jökulsárlón.

The glacier is what you can see in the background of this picture, the huge ice-beast lying on top of the land. This lake is where it meets water.




Some of the ice is blue. E. says that happens when the ice is compressed.

Huge crystal-clear chunk of iceberg and E.'s foot.


The guest center [closed]. Crazy long shadows. Two o'clock in the afternoon, maybe.


I saw a seal swimming in that water and my respect for seals went up so much. I was freezing even in all my layers on dry land.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, these shots are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh awesome! SO beautiful. One of my best friends has just gone to Iceland to start his research for his MSc in Geography! Very exciting!

    Oh and I totally read this wrong:
    Some of the ice is blue. E. says that happens when the ice is depressed.
    hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, i'm jealous! i like the shadow picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just lovely. You make me want to visit Iceland even more than I already did!

    --xo.

    ReplyDelete