Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I love you all, Explosionism

Do you remember that time I almost ran out of things to talk about with the therapist? That time it was so muddy and Phil Keaggy sang "Here Comes the Sun" to you? How about that time I found four perfect shells on the beach where I had never found anything unbroken except sand dollars in twenty years? Four perfect shells in one day and I went clambering about the ruins of the old baths with seafoam still clinging to my feet and met an old man who told a story about the Summer of Love? That time I climbed up into your bed when I almost fell asleep with you? Because it was Sunday afternoon.

Or how about when I was so scared that I might get kicked out of my German exam, or the time we went to the dollar store in Japantown and I bought a rice bowl because I thought I was still going back to Illinois? Remember when I was stuck, dead in bed but then you texted me and I got up and when I went out there was a letter from our mutual friend to read and reread as I walked to the library before closing time. Or that Sunday, I sang "Blackbird" that day, when it was SO COLD and I had to walk home with all this coffee in my stomach enough to make me sick?

When we were driving back from the airport after midnight and I was hanging out the sun roof and accidentally let go of the directions that were written on the paper that I was holding in my hand? And the chocolate milk that exploded all over the inside of the car? It cracked me up for days afterward, the chocolate milk stains on the ceiling.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. This is lovely. It makes me want to do something like this, only it wouldn't be as amazing, and I would be copying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassandra - Oh, do! I want to read it...it's just a gimmicky idea, please do copy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently told Erin that "I want to be Cuileann when I grow up."

    This confirms that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kind of don't know what to comment with because this post left me kind of breathless and speechless and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! I love this... I really miss you lately. I always do, but especially with school starting I miss you. Let's meet at the airport again sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete