Friday, November 13, 2009

Bouncing in my chair

Did you guys ever see those commercials with that man walking around a third-world garbage dump where children were scavenging, and he says, "For less than a dollar a day, you could sponsor one of these children?"

Right, so I've sponsored a child through a similar organization since 2003. Sponsorship is $38 a month and it provides food, clean water, medical care, and fees for school. His name is Kapurua; he lives in Kenya. We write each other letters and he sends me his drawings of helicopters and cows. He's pretty great.

Anyways, this organization sent me the profile of an as-yet unsponsored child, a girl in Haiti. The idea is that I can ask around to try to find a sponsor for her by Christmas.



"Jeanima lives with her father and her mother. Her father is sometimes employed as a farmer and her mother is sometimes employed as a seller in the market. Jeanima works at home carrying water and gathering firewood. There are six children in the family.

"For fun, Jeanima enjoys playing with dolls and playing group games. She attends church activities regularly and is in primary school where her performance is average." She's seven years old.

I'm not sure I could find someone who will want to spare $38 a month.

But I know I can find thirty-eight people who will spare a dollar each month.

And that is where you come in.

Guys -- what do you say to collectively sponsoring Jeanima?







You don't need a PayPal account to donate, just a credit card. I will keep an updated total of how much you've given in my sidebar -- any money that comes in goes towards her first sponsorship payment.

If you want to read about the organization first, Compassion International, click on over to their website. They're a top-notch charity that is very open about their finances. They recently reached the million-sponsor mark -- they now connect a million third-world children with sponsors. They're a Christan organization, but they don't require that children convert, attend church, or anything like that in order to be sponsored or be in their program.

Um...let's DO THIS PUPPY!

as ever,

cuileann

edit: Holy COW, you've given the full $38 before I've even turned in for the night!

A thousand thanks to those of you who donated. It is so good to have faith rewarded.

Any more donations that come in this month will go towards next month's payment for Jeanima.

7 comments:

  1. Ohmygod. Yes. I love this idea!! I shall check my bank balance & donate at once. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bambola - YAY! You're a chaaampion. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's amazing Cuileann! I'll help out for next month. I just can't seem to ever admire you enough, you always surprise me with something new and wonderful about you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a world-changer.
    This made me smile and smile and smile...
    And hopefully next month I'll have my first salary from work & can give something towards her sponsorship :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you've done this! I haven't seen a community kid for years (they grow up so fast...), and haven't had time to do the legwork myself...

    I'll help as much as I can, but I'm bound to get distracted and forget every couple of months - will you be tweeting updates? ^.^

    Aaand lastly, when does the "month" tick over? I'm prone to check in to make sure the target is reached. :)

    <3 You're a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Captain Obvious - Yess definitely will be tweeting updates. Payments are due on the thirteenth of each month, but I'm not sure yet if they'll count the first check as November or December. I'm guessing it'll be for December, but I will let you know when they tell me.

    ReplyDelete