Saturday, December 26, 2009

Day after Christmas

this morning


My parents gave me a nice pair of noise-canceling headphones for Christmas. Now I don't have to worry about going deaf listening to music on planes and buses. One less thing, as Forrest Gump would say.

I got in a bit of a spat with another flickr user today. I left a comment on one of his pictures saying that the model looked either very unwell or extremely edited. [Her thighs were nearly  the same size as her calves.] I don't go around looking for photoshopped models to criticize, but it was the first thing I noticed about his photo, so I decided it was worth saying. He got very defensive and insinuated that because I'm an amateur and American [read: used to obesity], I can have nothing legitimate to say on the matter.

It's been a long time since I've had a bad interaction online, and I wasn't really prepared for it. I'm not about to embark on a new career as a flickr troll, but I must say...there are some people I don't particularly mind upsetting.

I made a resolution a while ago to make more trouble. More on that later?

Anyways, that reminded me of  Noel's post about the word "amateur." Read it, read it, read it.

9 comments:

  1. making trouble is good. i love this photo, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the post you linked too, that was really great, makes you want to be an amateur.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. we amateurs have to hang together, or the world will hang us seperately.

    :)

    for some reason this made me thing of erin's woody allen quote, If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative.

    feeling an amateur, even for a moment, feels like failing. but there's passion in it, and innovation... not bad, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the peace dripping from this photo.
    so, are noise-cancelling headphones really awesome? I was thinking about a pair for travelling between Uganda and England frequently in the near future. However as I've never tried them, I can't convince myself they're THAT much better than normal ones. And therefore worth the money. Are they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noel - You two (you and rinmac) are good medicine. :)

    Gabi - Well, they're certainly loads better than earbuds, but no surprise there. I will give you the final verdict after my flight back to Chicago next week...that'll be the real test.

    ReplyDelete
  6. <3 <3
    all i will say is this: go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So... when are you going to tell me which flickr user it was so I can bash them? :)

    ReplyDelete