Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Back at college

blanchard lawn
quad


I love my classes. I attend lectures and read my textbooks and listen to music and drink tea with my friends and that's all I need. Really. I'm rooming with two sophomores who I do not relate to at all, but my days are so full of things that I love and find important, I don't mind in the slightest.

My classes are:
  • Political Philosophy
  • Old Testament in Three Traditions (that's Judaism, Christianity, and Islam)
  • Cross-Cultural Psychology
  • The City in Cultural Perspectives
  • Intermediate Modern Dance
And halfway through the semester I'll be swapping the psych class out for sociolinguistics. My, but I love my major.

Also, I don't believe I've mentioned that I've decided to do a gender studies certificate in addition to the anthropology major. Cue intellectual swoon.

I've been taking pictures with my cell phone in the absence of a digicam. See above for a taste of my new habitat.

HOWEVER I am no longer camera-less. I bid for a while on a Nikon D30x which eventually got out of my price range. (When I said that I couldn't afford a replacement camera, I meant I couldn't afford to make the jump up to one of the low-end DSLRs that I hoped would be my next camera...I was blogging in the heat of the moment; please forgive my imprecision.)

But I came to the realization that another point-and-shoot would still be miles better than no camera at all, and bought a refurbished Elph that Q recommended to me. Twelve megapixels for a mere $160. It came in the mail today and I am looking forward to some good bonding time with it.

What's been happening in your life?

17 comments:

  1. Your college campus looks so beautiful and I am so glad that you are relishing in every moment of life back there! Looking forward to seeing some photos from your new camera too! As for my life, I have been working a bit, not as much as I had been over Christmas, but I am enjoying my days off, laying in bed,, reading, sitting in the sun and seeing friends. I am considering not going back to university this semester now as my Masters course may be longer than what I had anticipated and I really would like to move out of home and find a real job, or something that is more permanent and full time. I am at a bit of a crossroads and my head is rather fuzzy. There is a boy that isn't helping my situation, but who I am looking forward to seeing this weekend! More to come on that later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got your camera! :)

    Those classes sound so interesting and it's no wonder your happy being back at college. The snow there looks lovely too, yay for white winters.

    Love you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alla - Yes, I LOVE the snow. I'm glad you're getting some rest and savoring it. I do not particularly like Being At A Crossroads personally, but of course you will figure out a good situation for yourself. *awaits Boy Story*

    Bambola - Me.too. I think it's going to live in my pocket for the next few days, if not longer. (It's so dainty, barely bigger than my phone.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh I want to take that Old Testament class.

    Mia is very well.

    Oh, and I have a surprise to tell you next time our paths cross.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Q - Ah, thank you for reminding me that she already has a name!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooooh look at all that snow....geez I know it must be cold. I start my classes tomorrow, Spanish 2 and enviormental science 2 hahahaha they sound so blah compared to your classes but then again I don't even think the place i'm going to offers half of those.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you get your camera, I think you should make a snow angel and take a picture of it

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad things are shaping up for you. Look at all that snow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. its so good to hear from you! and yes, i'm swooning at those classes and now want to go back to school..ASAP! :)

    p.s. did you get my mail over christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  10. pinkapplecore - Cold but not terribly so. Hope your first day goes well! And wait and see, I'm guessing wherever you transfer will have a lot of cool-sounding classes.

    phampants - Indeed? I do not often wear clothes suitable for the making of snow angels, but I suppose I should make at least one per winter.

    Maya - Thanks. I know, isn't it amazing? Of course, there are the places by the side of the road where it's practically black too. :P

    Odessa - BAH I so wish I had been able to see you again before I left! But I'll be home in March, and I'm gladdened to see you are returned to your blog. YES I did get your gift, and I delighted in it. Have been using the penguins habitually.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anthropology is great, the Cross Cultural Psych paper sounds very interesting!

    Looking forward to seeing some photos with your new camera :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to dance across that snow.
    It's beautiful where you study!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bridey - Should have known you'd be an anthro buff, with all that wanderlust! :)

    Gabi - Ah, I want to get my dancer friend to let me take some pictures of her in the snow, actually!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so lovely. It's a lovely thought that you are back there and it sounds so very good, and so much like you all of a sudden, although somehow I never thought that Wheaton would sound like you.

    I can't wait to see more of your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Magnifiques ces photos elles font rĂªver bravo
    karine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Erin - Getting to handpick them is pretty nice.

    enterrement - Merci.

    ReplyDelete