Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Read in February 2010

1. Salome, by Beatrice Gormley
 Did you ever read those historical diary novels in elementary or middle school? This book reminds me of the Royal Diaries series, which is a nice thing. Salome (you know, the one from the Bible who danced and a king beheaded a prophet for her) narrates this story. I enjoyed it, especially as the setting hasn't received excessive amounts of attention in YA literature.

2. The Republic, by Plato
Read this for political philosophy. I'm struggling to think of something substantial to say about it. Obviously it's a foundational work of western thought. From a non-academic standpoint, I guess it was worth reading, though my personal curiousity would have been satisfied with excerpts. What a grueling way to build an imaginary city.

3. Anne of Windy Poplars, by L.M. Montgomery
Will I ever not like an Anne book? No, of course not. A little didactic, a lot delightful.

3 comments:

  1. anne shirley! oh, how i miss her..might have to re-read those books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Republic is definitely food for thought.

    And yes, Anne. How can I ever not like her?

    ReplyDelete
  3. odessa - do eeet! :D

    Inkgirl - Did you read The Republic for a class or on your own?

    ReplyDelete