Thursday, July 22, 2010

Read in June 2010 (part one)

Super late, because the list was so long it intimidated me every time I looked at it...

1. As the World Burns: 50 Simple Things You Can Do to Stay in Denial, by Derrick Jensen and Stephanie McMillan
What are you supposed to take from this book? A conviction to become an eco-terrorist? No, seriously. It does make the good point that most environmental problems are caused not by people taking showers that last too long, but by corporations.

2. He's a Stud, She's a Slut, and 49 Other Double Standards Every Woman Should Know, by Jessica Valenti
Pretty light in tone and structure. A good primer on those itching day-to-day sexisms that you aren't supposed to take issue with.

3. Feminist Perspectives on Eating Disorders, ed. by Patricia Fallon, Melanie A. Katzman, and Susan C. Wooley
BRILLIANT interdisciplinary anthology. It's no secret that my own framework for understanding eating disorders is heavily influenced by feminism, and if you're curious why or what that means, this is an excellent and engaging work. It does get off to a somewhat slow start, and there are one or two chapters that are very dense and academic.

4. Model: A Memoir, by Cheryl Diamond
Entertaining, doesn't take itself too seriously. She seems like a likable and unique person, and narrates through eyes clear enough to be amused/surprised/etc. by her industry.

5. Revolutionary Letters, by Diane di Prima
This is originally from the seventies, with letters (poems) added on up into the noughties, so it gets to talk about The Man without the phrase being historically flavored. I find that pretty amazing. There's also some dated stuff about sticking it to said Man by doing drugs, but most of it, even if you don't agree with all of the ideas, kind of put my brain on fire. In the good way.

6. A Room of One's Own, by Virginia Woolf
Feminist classic, of course. I highly recommend it for her ideas about art and creation, fiction specifically. Though she's quite earnest, she has some lovely humor too.

7. The Reason for God, by Timothy Keller
Highly logical, and maintains a respectful, fair tone throughout. A good intellectual apologetic.

8. The Business of Fancydancing: Stories and Poems, by Sherman Alexie
I actually liked this better than The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven. Poems and short prose-poem pieces. Captivating.

3 comments:

  1. I also finished A Room of One's Own in June, over a year after I first tried to read it! I love Woolf.

    how did you find cynosure? so much synchronicity, for I also eat tangerines, don't eat meat, have feminist ideas, hail from the SF Bay Area, and require a camera :]

    but whoa. you read quite a bit. I look up to you for that :] my goal this year is 52 books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sui! - I'm going to say...from Medicinal Marzipan? Or one of her cohort. Re: reading, it is vacation for me. Re: synchronicity, They Embrace! Pleasure to make your acquaintance :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe, reading is my vacation (& avocation) too, but I spend a lot of time reading online these days rather than books, I s'pose :)

    ReplyDelete