Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Ache and gray

Dreary sky. I read the last 300 pages of The Ghosts of Ashbury High (Jaclyn Moriarty) sitting on my floor after lunch after class. It's a brilliant book, so good and so tangly and a bit heartbreaking, and I just read something from my astronaut sister that also made my heart hurt. Both in that vicarious sort of way. So I think now I might watch a movie down here in my room and deal with those in my head later. I have V for Vendetta, The Triplets of Belleville, and Inglourious Basterds out from the library.

Last week was exhausting. I did an inordinate amount of socializing with new people this week, even some mingling, and it took its TOLL. All cool people, mind, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm an introvert who reaches sensory overload very quickly. I climbed in the shower and turned the water on and covered my face with my hands. Take away the people pls. I thought maybe I would spend the weekend with my eyes covered up and noise-blocking headphones on, lying on my bed listening to my thoughts bounce off the fabric of the blindfold? Instead I just slurked about the house, slept, and declined all unnecessary conversation. Gotta do what you gotta do.

Some more pictures from Muir Woods:











I had a scare with my new camera the other day, the shutter wasn't firing and I thought it was broken, but it turns out it's just some wrongheaded safety mechanism to prevent double exposures which went to work because I wasn't advancing the film quite far enough after each shot. I did lose most of a roll from the beach, but I went back and retook a bunch of the shots yesterday after class.

Everything feels right when I've got my feet in the Pacific.

6 comments:

  1. ghosts is one of the first books I plan to read when I get back to the states... !

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Everything feels right when I've got my feet in the Pacific." I think THAT might be the truest sentence I know.

    I am so looking forward to reading Ghosts, and I am curious of your opinion on all three of the films, even though I've only seen one, so let me know when you've seen them please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've reached a people/sensory overload too, yet constant work means constant people... it's not going too well!
    am hiding inside tonight staring longingly at the strange mist-like rain and doing nothing.
    In other news - I am completely besotted by that first picture! Can I please buy it?? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noel - I thought a couple times while I was reading it, "I UNDERSTAND why Noel loves her so much!" I can't wait to hear what you have to say when you finish it.

    Erin - I'm seriously glad that you've had the chance to know this for yourself, despite being landlocked. Shall!

    Cheray - Oh dear, that's rough. I hope some recharging time appears. I will email you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am like this too, socializing (which i like) leaves me exhausted

    ReplyDelete
  6. Krystal - Yess. I was glad I made the connection as to why I was so tired and cranky.

    ReplyDelete