Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Swimming days are coming

I'm housesitting this week and finishing up my philosophy class. The final's tomorrow, but I think it's non-cumulative. Yay. Yay.

As per usual, The Puppy who comes along with the house (she's not a puppy anymore, but she still acts like one) is a bit of a trial for my nerves and temper in these concentrated doses. I'm trying to remind myself that taking care of her is, in the moments when I'm with her, the only thing I need to concentrate on. Trying to be present and viewing the time and energy I spend on her as time and energy spent for me, à la Thich Nhat Hanh.

I was feeling sluggish this afternoon. I took a nap and then walked back to my house (perfect sunsetting sky, perfect sunsetting air) for dinner, which was a nice salad. Did twenty minutes or so of yoga, and then cut up some strawberries to have with yogurt. And a bunch of water. And I feel much better now.

This house has a really marvelous view from the living room. We're up on a hill, big picture windows, the neighborhood all lit up until the line of the ocean. That's where I'm sitting now. Puppy's gnawing on a piece of something that used to be alive. I'm typing to you. Domestic bliss.




(That is how Puppy watches me when I leave the house. My mom said, "Ohh, that's so cute!" My dad said, "I don't think it's that cute. She looks like a teddy bear." ?)



5 comments: