Sunday, August 29, 2010

Limbs of land

Friday night I sat by a river in a little downtown of a nearby suburb and ate ice cream and cookie dough (note: not cookie dough ice cream) with my half-accented friend I haven't seen in quite a while.

Today was too hot and Hannah took me to drop off film and then to get more groceries. So now I have mushrooms, tofu, frozen vegetables, rice, and other lovely things. I realized that all the foods which I have in my room are vegan, except for the yogurt, and that made me happy.

I'm taking a break from my Human Origins reading right now. We've started out with a heavily biblical focus, reading a bajillion and one different interpretations of Genesis 1, which makes me feel like I'm still in my Old Testament class, but it's a good intro to the "fossil fondling."

And tonight was a German dinner at the house of one of the professors, where they presented their current plan for revising the major curriculum and invited feedback from the students. It was quite exciting for me because it's starting to look like a semester in Germany may just fit in perfectly with my graduation plans. I'm not a German major anymore, but I could finish a minor if I went to Germany, and the anthropology department, for obvious reasons, is totally on board with giving credit for anthro classes done in other countries.

And I made a fort by taping up a sheet around the dormer window and the air conditioner.

they can't keep you out;





















9 comments:

  1. going to germany would be amazing. what food did you eat out of curiosity??

    ReplyDelete
  2. eeks, picture in the church. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. her - what food did I eat when?

    Edge - thanks! we know about you and cathedrals...hehe. was your appetite sated or sharpened this summer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. odessa - I would not mind a third semester at ALL if I spent it in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that a Miranda July book title on your arm? P.S.
    Hi, Holly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth - Yes. Actually I started that book and didn't like any of it as much as I like the title or the way it looks on the cover...that's all I would want to steal. Have you read it? Also: Hi! But which Elizabeth are you? (I can't see your profile.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOLLY!!! That is one of my favorite books! That is where I got the name Lyon from! Even though it's kind of depressing!

    I usually don't like contemporary writers (well, I flat-out don't) but she's one of the few that I really... feel an affinity for. Probably because we both write nonsensical but emotional pieces.

    I like Miranda July. She used to annoy me because she reminded me of myself (especially in her movie ME&YOU&...) and her voice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sui - Ah, yeah, I must admit I only read about twenty pages, hehe...maybe a second try is in order sometime. I'll be on the look out for a Lyon whenever I do.

    ReplyDelete