Monday, November 29, 2010

Found love letter

There is a reading room in the student center at my college which, due to its one circular glass wall, is known as the Fishbowl. It is mainly used as a very quiet study room, but it does have a sizeable collection of reading material, all schmancy dollhouse-looking leather-and-gilt editions of classic books.

Anyways, I recently borrowed a volume of several of the French fairy tales for tea time/bedtime reading...and I found a love letter in the end papers!










The really magical thing? This is the second letter I've found from this couple's correspondence. Last semester I borrowed another book of fairy tales from the Fishbowl, illustrated by Dulac, same as this one, and found a letter in it from the same girl to the same boy. I'm thinking they were using their mutual favorite books as a sort of secret mail system. Have you ever run across a piece of a correspondence before? I hadn't until these.

20 comments:

  1. that is SO MAGICAL. incredibly cool, ahh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES. And it was a beautiful letter from a girl, reminding a boy to stay strong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin - right? like something from a movie, or someone playing a trick on me and my romantic brain.

    pinkapplecore and typewriter heather - I just hope the fact that they were still in the books doesn't mean they weren't received. (I do know that if so, at least it's not because I interrupted it--the first letter was dated a couple years ago.)

    Q - ahh, lovely!...where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that is spectacular. And I agree with Erin, practically magic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness I love this. And I love how you've captured it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is *ahmazing.*
    The closest I have come to finding something like that is when I read I Am The Messenger, and went I went back to each of my favorite quotes found someone else had lightly underlined every single one in pencil.... ONLY my favorite quotes. Part of me was infuriated someone would write in a library, but part of it *was* a bit magical.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is magical... your participation in this love would be a really good short story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh that's so romantic. And how fantastic that you found two of them! I only wish I'd found secret correspondences :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Becca, Danielle, Leelo, Anna - and a pleasure to share it with you!

    geekspawn - oh, that's crazy! and similarly movie-ish. I'd have to imagine you being best friends if you ever met that person. or getting married. ha!

    Je Reve - you are of course free to steal it for your own material if you like!

    Jenica - SO chancey, right? I was incredulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so beautiful!
    And to have found two letters from the same couple <3 Magical!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheray - Scarcely believed it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha, no way! That's so crazy! Did it have their real names on them?? I'm assuming they're recent letters meant to be found by each other now...?

    ReplyDelete
  14. aipingplum - Yes. Ryan and Abby. I think the other letter was dated from 200...7? So I'm assuming that I haven't interrupted their correspondence.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I once found notebook paper with random words on it, I think "sexy" was one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aren - Lol. Slightly less romantic, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, slightly creepy, if I remember correctly. ;)

    ReplyDelete