Monday, November 1, 2010

Unrelated snatches

"The ex-suicide opens his front door, sits down on the steps, and laughs. Since he has the option of being dead, he has nothing to lose by being alive. It is good to be alive. He goes to work because he doesn’t have to."
-Walker Percy
__

Cholera outbreak in Haiti, if you haven't heard—I tell you on account of our girl being there. It's a disease of poverty, because if drinking water is clean it's not a problem. This outbreak has been related back to the January earthquake: being left homeless -> having to drink unclean water. So you see what a difference simple things like better construction practices and clean drinking water can make. So you see how easy it is to make a difference by caring about problems like these.
__

Therapy does not often feel therapeutic, at least in the sense of meditation and bubble baths and soothing scented candles. Sometimes it feels like having your bones rebroken.
__

Have you (ahem) "liked" this page yet? Do. It is an exciting organization to partner with, and worth even just keeping in touch with in that simple way.
__

Disclosure that I promised someone a while ago to make: I'm twenty-one and have never had a boyfriend. This is one of those things that is, as a general rule, supposed to be a big deal/distressing, but guess what (and this is one of my favorite realizations of growing up)? I get to decide what does and doesn't matter to me. Yay.
__

I celebrated Halloween by going on a nighttime shooting outing with my tripod. It was a good idea. I still have my exposure cheat sheet on the back of my left hand. It is nice that Sharpie comes off of skin so easily, because I also accidentally smeared it all over the left side of my face. This is an indirect result of becoming paranoid about getting zits from languishing my face all over my palms all the day long, and switching to using the backs of my hands since they don't get so oily.
__

This playlist is increds, so maybe you should go download it and start enjoying it now.

9 comments:

  1. Danielle - right?! I'm enamored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just listening and listening. It's the perfect blend of eclectic with enough mellowness and character that I'm engaged and not annoyed. like like like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was totally already in my twenties when I had my first boyfriend! I used to feel like it was a thing but I later realized it wasn't a big deal at all. And I'm really glad to see that you are deciding how you feel about it yourself. Kudos!
    -Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danielle - yes, it's been my headphone candy of choice these last few days as well.

    Maria - and maybe the people I know aren't representative, but it doesn't seem uncommon at all either. thank yoouu. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty sure being 21 and not ever having a boyfriend is the norm for a Wheato student. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. aipingplum - too true. I try not to be so parochial, though. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy you liked it. winter mixtape comming… :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. martin - all right! can't wait!

    ReplyDelete