Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Read in December 2010

1. The Art of the American Snapshot, 1888-1978, by Sarah Greenough et al.
Jeez. Anonymous snapshots by normal people. I loved this so much; it made my heart feel full. Some of them are startlingly beautiful. The snapshot aesthetic fascinates me. Perhaps it's connotation, but it can be so poignant...

2. 73 Poems, by e.e. cummings
It seems to me that everyone who reads poetry has read and probably liked a handful of e.e. cummings poems. This was my first time reading a significant quantity of him all together. I enjoy his expressiveness, and I really enjoy the way my brain has to work to read his poems.

3. Aesop's Fables, by Leaf Munro
Eh. Not much to say.

4. Girl, Interrupted, by Susanna Kaysen
I really liked this. I think it's better than the movie. More interesting, less dramatic. Perfect structure: alternates between narration and personal essays about her two years in a psychiatric hospital. Genuinely funny and avoids the pitfalls of 1) getting bogged down in romanticized/sensationalized Sturm und Drang and 2) forcing the experience to be profound in ways that it wasn't or have a climactic "now I have made sense of everything" tidily tied-up takeaway. It's more like: this is what is was like; these are my thoughts.

5. Trickster's Choice, by Tamora Pierce
Coming back to Tamora Pierce's Tortall fantasies feels like coming home to me. Aly's not my favorite; she's a little too perfect and I don't love her mannerisms, but of course I enjoyed the book and read about a hundred pages of it at a time. The character Nawat and getting inside a new culture, that of the Copper Isles, were what I liked best about this one.

6 comments:

  1. Ohh, I love anything by Tamora Pierce. I should probably be embarrassed by the number of times I've reread most of her books (except I'm not!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the snapshot book before. Lovely, to say the least.
    Who is your favorite Pierce character?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me being me...this is my thought process:

    1. I love Daughter of the Lioness since I love political intrigue in books. Novels are usually better when a ruler is in the process of being overthrown.
    2. Okay, so I love Tortall in general.
    3. Except that love interests are kind of disturbing...Nawat is a dear, but he was a crow....
    4. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SLEEP NOW?

    I hate my brain sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bridey - GOOD; don't ever be! *fist in pride*

    Je Reve - do you know what I mean about the snapshot aesthetic then?--are you able to pinpoint what it is? Character: difficult. Kel or Beka, I think. You?

    anilee - Hah. I hope you made it to dreamland. I agree about political intrigue. There's got to be a political or a psychological dimension. As for Nawat, it's possible I will be disturbed if they have sex, but until then, yes, he is just sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't pinpoint it at all... yet. My library has it in, and now I can look at its pages of eerie nostalgia and poise. I saw it in a doctors office before, and surprise, surprise, there came the shortest wait I've ever had in an office.
    As a main character, Beka or Aly, but Neal is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Je Reve - well, your dentist has excellent taste. the boys Kel was friends with in training were an endearing/amusing lot.

    ReplyDelete