Monday, February 28, 2011

Air

Untitled

Today was warm enough to open my window for a while. I sat down in a pile of clean sheets at the sunny end of my bed to read a Weberian analysis of French Catholicism and to feel the fresh air and light on my face and arms. I cannot wait until it is warm enough to leave the window open through the night.

One of my favorite memories from my childhood: night, in bed, reading on my stomach by a small light. I slept on the lower bunk and our bed faced the window which faced westward, with the ocean in sight during the day. Many evenings it would be open a few inches letting in the dark sky's wind and the noise of traffic, and I could feel the sweet cool west-coming air on my face but the rest of me would be wrapped up in a blanket. I told my mother then how much I loved this, and she said, I think, perhaps because when I was a baby and awake at night she would hold me bundled up by the open window like that.

6 comments:

  1. What an ethereal photograph. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lexi - Thank you. It is rather challenging to hold the incense AND take a picture of the smoke when one's camera does not have auto-focus...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mm, I love leaving windows open at night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, what a cute mental picture...baby holly soakin in the ocean air...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sleep with my window open at night, no matter the temperature (though I find my mom often comes in during the morning and shuts it so it's only a few inches). I love the smell of outside and rain and clean air.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth - Mmm. Maybe I shall go ahead and do that; if I leave the heater on it'll probably balance it out.

    ReplyDelete