Monday, April 11, 2011

Crunch time (three weeks)

Things I am temporarily giving up:
  • reading the news
  • non-skimming reading 
  • walking (bike's more fun anyway)
  • spacing out on the train
  • keeping up with Tumblr buddies
Things I am not giving up:
  • sleep
  • my rule against reading while I eat
  • NaPoWriMo
  • journaling
  • time with my friends 
  • keeping my room clean
Things I am temporarily taking up:
  • energy drinks
  • academically-focused socializing
Things I am making habit:
  • remembering what a very long time it took for women to be allowed at universities, and thinking of how desperately some women in centuries past (and cultures distant) have wanted what I have.

8 comments:

  1. Do energy drinks work? Because if they do, I might seriously consider trying them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Georgie - If they have caffeine in them! Haha. I always have the same kind, so I don't know about the energy drink as a class. Crunch time for you too yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. energy drinks work? only if it is 5 hr energy! (at least that is my experience.) I happen to be into triple shot lattes right now :)

    Out of curiosity, why do you not read when you eat? How does that play into your recovery? I ask because for me personally, if I read or watch tv or chat with someone while I eat, I don't pay as much attention to what is on my plate and tend to eat more. It is a good distraction for me and before I know it, I am done eating. It seems so much easier to me than to sit and stare at a plate of food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn -

    I'm kind of scared of the 5 hr ones! Normally I avoid caffeine because it makes me anxious for a couple days afterward.

    Mm, I can understand that. There have been times where watching movies or TV shows has been enough of a distraction for my conscious brain to make eating peaceful. But for me & while I'm at college, emotional eating is one of my biggest triggers/recovery obstacles--and mindful eating prevents that. It keeps my eating intuitive, keeps it tied to my body instead of to my thoughts and emotions by giving me the space to hear my body's cues. I could totally write a whole post about this...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why are you giving up reading the news? Not that I do that at all...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenica - I gotta prioritize more strictly while I'm this busy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, of course! That makes perfect sense. I've been there, just not currently. I will someday be back at the point where I don't think my body is lying or trying to betray me when it requests food. And someday, I will also be able to just eat and listen to my body!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dawn - And you will look back remembering when you couldn't, and feel so free. You have my prayers and admiration, Dawn.

    ReplyDelete