Friday, April 15, 2011

Uganda plans

Gabi said I should explain things some more. All right.

Summer: I'm finishing the semester in three weeks. After that, I'll be home in San Francisco a while and taking classes at my college's camp in Wisconsin for a while.

And after that...I'm going to Uganda for seven weeks.

What I'm going to be doing there: interning under a medical anthropologist who works for a clean water access organization. I'll be helping collect ethnographic and medical data about water access, water-borne illness prevalence, and health practices.

I will also be visiting Gabi at her home nearby, which will be unspeakably lovely. To take pictures. And just to visit.

It's hard for me to think ahead that far when I have so much work to do and so much due in the next five days even, let alone next three weeks, but I think it's going to be wonderful, and I know I'm going to learn a lot. It's a whole new continent for me, and I'm stoked to do interviews.

It's not a paid internship, so I'm fundraising to pay for my ticket and health insurance there—I will definitely post my support letter here when I finish writing it in case any of you want to help out with thaaat...

So that's my cool news of the past few months.

8 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing! You are so adventurous, I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have several friends who make trips to Uganda. They go to help/work at the Mirembe House, a crisis pregnancy center. I have yet to go there but I hope to someday. Such a beautiful country! Can't wait to see the support letter and hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome!!! :)
    Good for you! I wish you lots of luck in your fundraising efforts x

    ReplyDelete
  4. !!! exciting! can't wait to hear, er, read about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know that they let people into Uganda...dang. I sure am behind the times and uninformed. Thanks for enlightening me. :) I'm excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bridey - Psh, but I'll always be in awe of your travel resume!

    Dawn - Yes, people do seem to fall in love with it...

    Kez - Thanks! I'll need it. Haha.

    sui - *small dance* I REALLY cannot wait to take PICTURES and show them to you guys.

    Georgie - Yup, there's some conflict in the north but for sure people are allowed, and it's fine and safe for interns in the south. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love hearing more about what you'll be doing in Uganda!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim - Hm, I thought I'd told you that much. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete