Friday, February 17, 2012

Read in January 2012

1. The Thing About Thin: Body Image, Eating Disorders, Resistance, + What Really Matters, by Sui Solitaire
[See this post.]

2. Girl Meets God: A Memoir, by Lauren F. Winner
Her style of writing is so plain that this book didn't captivate me at first, but by the end I loved it. It's about her conversion to orthodox Judaism after a Jewish upbringing, and then her conversion to Christianity during college. She's so smart. Funny at times, and very self-aware.

3. Beyond God the Father: Toward a Philosophy of Women's Liberation, by Mary Daly
Deeply thought-provoking. She begins from the assumption that theology itself, and the Church itself, are corrupted by misogyny not only in form but also in principle. From there, she makes a full critique and describes her vision of a way forward, out of patriarchal religion.

4. The Lover, by Marguerite Duras
The story is absolutely messed up, and it was hard for me to stop thinking about that. The prose is kind of stream-of-consciousness. It's sad. It's not beautiful, though the atmosphere it builds is rather beautiful.

5. Jacob Have I Loved, by Katherine Paterson
A reread.

6. All My Pretty Ones, by Anne Sexton
Wonderful. Anne Sexton is becoming another favorite poet. I posted the opening poem from this collection several years ago: "The Truth the Dead Know."

3 comments:

  1. ooh. Some that I've read, some that I haven't. Lauren Winner is a neat writer. I did a writing workshop with her about 9 years ago here in Pittsburgh.

    And of course, I heart "Jacob Have I Loved."

    ReplyDelete
  2. After the poem you shared with me earlier, I'll have to read more Anne Sexton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah Louise - Ahh, did you really? I envy you. She's spoken at Wheaton, but I think I'd really like talking to her / a more chill setting even more.

    Jenica - Do! :)

    ReplyDelete