Sunday, July 26, 2020

"Alignment's Wit"

After seven years together, my partner and I finally write the same poem. The odds were quite good, actually, as she approached prose poetry from verse and I from story, that we'd meet in the middle with a short strip of words about our daughter. Statistically it's bound to happen, that two lovers sharing a bed would write the same sentence, that two inventors standing on opposite ends of earth's longest sidewalk would create the same amalgam at the same time. Who gets the patent then, the riches, the byline, the fame? We don't wish to share. We do not collaborate. So we trade our sheets of paper, read them, trade them back. After seven more years, we will tire of this, but I love the way that she says, that I say, she is tumbleweed in the morning.

- Julie Gard

No comments:

Post a Comment