Monday, August 3, 2020

August sun

A moment from last year, from a land dedicated for the past 47 years to women.

Bare skin, hot sun, blue
sky, surrounded by
(no walls)
open meadow, trees
the snow-capped mountain
to the east, snatches of women's talking
and singing.
I didn't mind, for the first time,
the shower's cold.
No hollering or hurrying
needed for me to bear it,
warm as I was
from the work of packing up camp
under the midday sun --
conscious as I was of
the nearness of farewells

I wanted to leave that land with traces
of her water on my skin
still, in my drying hair.
I scrubbed myself to a glisten in
that warm sun, that soft breeze
with oil and sugar (gifts left by another woman)
assiduously
meticulously
feeling something of a ritual in it
feeling the air and the sun and the land all
intent on me, and
I intent on them.

All tumble of apples
wind bells
high yellow grass
and laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment