Friday, August 13, 2021

Friday chatter

Untitled

Happy Friday! My work week is Sunday-Thursday, so it's actually my Saturday. After a lazy morning in bed, I'm in the middle of making cinnamon rolls. I'm using the Buddhist Chef's recipe for the third time, except this time I'm going to try fresh apple pieces in place of the raisins. We shall see how that works. 

Untitled

The handy thing about these is you can stick them in the fridge overnight for the second rise and bake them fresh in the morning, but I think they're going to be an afternoon snack with tea and then it'll be the leftovers for breakfast tomorrow. Will this dough recover from my curious bad cat stepping on it (through the damp tea towel) while it was rising? I think so. But how rude, how rude.

Untitled

The other thing I'm doing is watching one of my sisters' and my favorite childhood movies that I just found streaming online. 

It's an utterly '90s-tastic made-for-TV movie called Robin of Locksley which features Devon Sawa (you know, the Canadian boy heartthrob of said decade) along with some other boys with curtain haircuts. He plays a modern-day teenage Robin Hood who hacks wealthy corporations' bank accounts via the WORLD WIDE WEB ("What's that?" asks one character) in order to, duh, give the money to charity. 

I've probably seen it fifteen times, but not at all recently. I love it. Here it is if you need some cheesy-but-good '90s silliness: https://tubitv.com/movies/413028/robin-of-locksley

So that's what I'm doing today. What about you?

Untitled

3 comments:

  1. Hi! It's been a while :) Happy to see your posts and lovely photographs! It's been raining for the past three days here in Tokyo, so I'll be staying inside. Perfect weather for baking so maybe I'll try to cobble together a dutch baby (it's a puffy pancake/crepe hybrid; I've never tried it before, but it is apparently super simple to make if you have a cast iron/oven-proof pan!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's good to be back and lovely to see your name pop up! Rain and baking are instant cozy, I agree it's the best combo. Alas, that your oven did not support your dutch baby success. The cinnamon rolls turned out well; next time I must add more apples.

      Delete
  2. Unhappily, I must report that my first try at the dutch baby did not come out as planned. My oven is pretty old (and was bought secondhand) so I think it doesn't consistently heat up to the right temperature! Will keep trying, though :) I hope your cinnamon rolls turned out amazing!

    ReplyDelete