Thursday, April 16, 2009

Lois Greenfield on creativity

credit: Lois Greenfield

I have a book of Lois Greenfield's dance photography out from the library at present. The photos are pretty darn cool, though I don't deeply love them. What I found fascinating was the included interview, especially her discussion of the distinction between depicting and creating:

"I realized that although people are used to seeing carefully crafted images which glorify the dance, these pictures don't tell you anything more; they don't develop, extend, explore. People would look at one of my pictures of Baryshnikov in a spectacular leap ten feet off the ground and say, 'What a great photograph!', but I knew it wasn't; it was merely a great dance moment competently captured...

I later wrote on Duane Michals — whose outlook has had a profound effect on me--on Man Ray and on Lucas Samaras, all photographers who invent, rather than depict....

When I was in college I went to hear him [Michals] speak at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In this iconoclastic lecture he said to a crowd of Minor White/zone system enthusaists, 'If all your life means to you is water running over rocks, then photograph it, but I want to create something that would not have existed without me.'"

- Lois Greenfield
in interview with William A. Ewing

This idea that creativity means changing something through your experience of it-- making something new, rather than just capturing something that already existed--really engages me.

Greenfield has an online portfolio of her photography here, for the interested.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I do like that concept of photography and creating a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so much to say on this subject... I think I'll do a post about it... I loved it, by the way. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fave line: "I want to create something that would not have existed without me." It's obnoxious but at the same time, truthful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh. That is very, very interesting to think about. Thank you..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aditi - Ooh. Looking forward to it.

    Tash - Agree, I feel there is a tinge of arrogance to that as well.

    Erin - You are welcome!

    ReplyDelete