Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Things that are making me happy

Singing along with Dave Matthews in his octave.

Throwing things away. There probably aren't many instances where ridding your life of something ugly is as simple as the physical action of destroying it or putting distance between it and you, but it's a pleasure when such an instance does come along.

Reading with Austin Scarlett.

Friday lunch dates with my dad downtown. I catch the subway and meet him outside his company's skyscraper, and we have something yummy and I get sore feet or a sunburn from walking/lying around in the financial district sunshine. We have reconciled enough with each other that we can again have the very meandering, intellectual conversations that we've had since I was young.

Moving on from phonology to language acquisition in my linguistics class. About time, too, because I was about to die a phonemical death. Thank goodness, the new unit on psycholinguistics is fascinating.

Hiking down to a used bookstore [this lovely one, if any of my San Franciscans are wondering] to trade in some novels I didn't want anymore for a book of poetry and a print of a '40s photograph.

Late-morning mugs of black tea.

Making plans for my life that I really like and can actually make happen this year.

Being able to provide concrete support for my astronaut sister, despite the distance.

This picture from Erin's 365.

Taking down one of my mirrors for no particular reason. Now whenever I look at the place on the wall where it used to be, I get this funny jolt because my reflection's not there anymore to return my gaze. It feels sort of like I've vanished myself.

Little monks who share my like of boba.

10 comments:

  1. Everything Dave Matthews makes me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Used bookstores are nice (and cheap).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin - OOH guess what I think I'm going to see him in concert tooo! I looked up his tour details that time you tweeted about how you were going to see him, and he's going to be in San Francisco in August, and now I know that I'm going to be here then too!

    Beth - This is what they are today: work on gen eds at community college for the summer and possibly fall, then go do a TEFL certification intensive overseas. There's a short-term teaching contract tied to the course, so I'd teach for four or five months abroad after that, and see how it suits me. If it does, then I come back to the states and get a BA in something I like because with a BA and a certificate you can teach English in a ton of countries. Then I can go wherever English teachers are needed.

    Priya - And they can have some awesome old books. Ah, I can browse for HOURS in a used bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Well. It sounds perfect, your plan. Seeing the world, leaving it better, collecting stories to tell. I want it all to work out brilliantly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This list make me happy. *smiles*

    And your plan sounds perfect for you. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I do love my tea. and good to know about your friend, she's lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We need English teachers in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your plans. :)

    ReplyDelete