Sunday, May 23, 2010

"Sunday/The heat rises into pearls"

I was honored to be given a copy of this poet's first book recently. I posted one of his poems (from an anthology) here before. The book, which is also called The Salt Flowers, is a volume lush with beautiful images. One of those books that I read at bedtime in hopes that it might bleed into my dreams.

This poem grabbed me with its first stanza, which made me think of this poem by e. e. cummings. I love the reminiscent feeling of it, the emotional clarity, and of course, the stunning imagery. A coming-summer poem and a taste of a beautiful book.

The Salt Flowers

I don't know why something in me
closes like hands
in these days of June

I don't know turning above
everything at night
the endless braid of stars

I don't know flowers or rain or nightmares
or the unraveling thread that is
my future

It is Sunday
The heat rises into pearls

I remember
daylight twisted in palm trees
clouds reflected on the sea

Your mouth embroidered with mine 


- Travis Ian Smith

6 comments:

  1. I love the post tile stanza, and the last part. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia - mmmhm, the last bit made me "oh."

    ReplyDelete
  3. loveliness. something about
    "It is Sunday
    The heat rises into pearls

    I remember
    daylight twisted in palm trees
    clouds reflected on the sea"

    really really tugs at my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just gone through your blog and found it interesting. It was nice going through your blog. keep on posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann Flowers - Why, thank you. :) For the compliment and for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete