Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Point & shoot photo album: April

Untitled
Jasmine continued to find me wherever I go.

Untitled
I have mentioned this neighbor.

Untitled
"I miss you," says the flowerpot. A lockdown message?

Untitled
Infant peaches.

Untitled
Weekend bed inertia.

Untitled
Walking by our estuary as often as we can.

Untitled
These gracious trees and gracious shadows.

Untitled
My hometown a dream across the water.

Untitled
Ice plants, always.

Untitled
Me and my best company.

Untitled
Playgrounds are, of course, still closed.

Untitled
A wonderful surprise - wild turkeys. See the male in the back?

Untitled
Instax.

Untitled
"Temporarily Closed."

Untitled
Vegan nachos, made in the oven. (I grew up microwaving nachos, but oven-made is even yummier.)

Untitled
Sights from my runs...

Untitled

Dreamy Japanese maple.

Untitled
The mystical peacock and the even more mystical white cat. She has light green eyes and is fairly skittish. I didn't even realize she was in this photo until I was looking at it later.

Untitled
Vegan grilled cheese, yum yum yum.

Untitled
Spring evening light.

Untitled
Late-season tangerines.

Untitled
A gift from a restaurant I work with.

Untitled
Estuary again.

Untitled
Lover.

Untitled
Strange ramp into the water. For small craft? Mermaids?

Untitled
Weekend breakfast on the porch of a vacant unit.

Untitled
I love this cat! She came right away to hang out and get pets, as soon as I called to her.

Untitled
And then she jogged along with me for a while, trying to persuade me to give up running in favor of some more quality time with her.

Untitled
An excellent way to use up asparagus and overripe cherry tomatoes. Grated asparagus, vegan mozzarella, burst cherry tomatoes, pine nuts, and then baby greens added after baking. No sauce.

Untitled
The mini cactus decides to flower!!!

Untitled
More lockdown messages.

Untitled
Sweet peas - my birth month flower.

Untitled
Paper butterflies.

Untitled
What remains after making mango lassi.

***

April was the month of adjusting. I had my strange birthday. Lockdown continued; lockdown was extended (now through the end of May). As an aside: "Shelter in place" does sound better, doesn't it? My girlfriend and I figured out pandemic grocery shopping, to my relief, and I got more adjusted to the permanent working-from-home lifestyle. We watched a lot of movies and TV. I settled into a few daily/weekly habits and routines to help things feel more normal and less stressful. Walking, jogging, walking while reading. Now instead of my days feeling alarmingly open, I sometimes even manage to feel like I don't have enough free time.

I received a wonderful cooking-related gift for my birthday: a very nice chef's knife. I've been using it a lot as, of course, I've been cooking...a lot (probably more than I had cooked in the previous 31 years of my life, combined). I have a weekly farm box I get to pick up and I've been learning from that. Not wanting to waste that produce has been making me branch out, learn new dishes. Nothing complicated, but I feel pleased with being more a slightly more able home cook.

I also started to be able to concentrate on reading again (something which I couldn't do much of in the first few weeks of shelter-in-place). Thank goodness.

How was your April?

4 comments:

  1. Your photographs are always beyond beautiful. I feel totally transported to your world. Very jealous of those mangoes and flowers!!

    My April passed in a bit of a blur. I mostly spent it working on big assignments for school and watching big rainstorms from a comfortable indoor perch (a very cliche April! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you! I am lucky to have a lot of access to fresh produce through work...and often in large quantities, so we have to think up uses that will use a lot of whatever it is.

      Very April indeed - hopefully you were studying something you can savor. What is your subject?

      Delete
    2. International Affairs! I am writing my thesis on environmental impacts and their connection to justice theories.

      Delete